7.06.2011

Charlie Simpson

3 years ago I blogged about Charlie Simpson's band, Fightstar, and was quite impressed. One of the biggest draws was Simpson's voice. It immediately draws you in with its rasp and tone. Charlie is now going at it alone with his solo album Young Pilgrim expected to drop on August 15th in the UK. (No word yet on a US release) 

First single "Down Down Down" has been on  a loop since I first heard it. A touching ballad that incorporates lush vocal harmonies and lyrics that cut to the bone. (My nights are so long without you and my days speed up, my God, I'll never let go of you now) After hearing a couple of tracks off the new album, Simpson is heading into a new territory. Less hard rock, more instrumentation; a more singer/songwriter vibe. He wouldn't be out of place at a Mumford & Sons concert oddly enough, especially on "Farmer and His Gun". The change is exquisite and works on so many levels. Fingers crossed that Young Pilgrim will make the jump across the pond.

Charlie Simpson- Facebook
Down Down Down-


No comments: