2.27.2009

Oh Dorian

I never would have thought that there would be such great music in the town I live. Normally I'm writing about bands and artists that originate some place else. But with Oh Dorian, she is right here in my backyard. I caught this excellent artist on a local newscast and was dumbfounded at her voice, her lyrics, her everything. The best way to describe Oh Dorian (aka Heather Kemp) is to take Fiona Apple, Sara Bareilles, and Regina Spektor and put them in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Oh Dorian has a smoky, easy on the ears voice that is just effortless. Her songs are piano driven folk/pop gems. The melodies are not retreads of familiar territories as her voice zigs when you expect it to zag. Blue Cigar starts off with a boppy piano as her lyrics tell of a child being born as the mother dies, (Oh but sir, I have bad news/I'm afraid it's your wife/she just couldn't fight for two) and thus finding life in death. The juxtoposition of the happy piano with the somber lyrics shows tells of songwriter who is wise beyond her years. Her song The Sequel turns from a peppy piano ditty into a grungy lo-fi anthem. I have yet to hear a song I didn't like from this girl.

Oh Dorian is currently recording her upcoming EP, so keep an eye out for this young singer because she will be one to watch in the future.

Oh Dorian- Myspace
Blue Cigar (Live)-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://randomfamilyrecords.com/index/pre-order-music/