1.14.2009

Chris Pureka

Ok, I've got a confession. From the picture, I judged Chris to be a guy. I listened to her music and was thrown completely off because her voice didn't match what I thought it would sound like. Then it all clicked. So don't make the same mistake I did. Chris Pureka is from Massachusetts but her voice sounds like it was bred in the deep south. She has a ragged, whiskey weary voice.

Her new EP, Chimera, comes out on January 20th. Her sound is very close to Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams, but a lot more melodic. Her cover of Old Crow Medicine Show's excellent Wagon Wheel, is a definite highlight. Also check out her very emotionally charged song off her sophomore album Dryland called Momentary Thief. It's about breaking up with someone you know doesn't love you the same way you love them. (I never won you over/ I just caught you on a good day.) Chris is destined to be one of the great artists of our time.

Chris Pureka- Myspace
Momentary Thief-


No comments: